Sunday, March 27, 2011

L.ovely I.rreplaceable F.ascinating E.vents

I have a dream, just as anyone does - To be someone different, do things that normal people may not consider, go places people wouldn't consider, explore unique and diverse situations, and follow myself. The only thing that seemed possible for me to complete that was to do the unthinkable-become an artist, something easier said than done. It turns into a long a treacherous journey, completely unexplainable through words. Most people that consider themselves to be an artist may agree that their journey was much more difficult than anyone could imagine. Mine has been too, and I have yet to fully succeed.
I think I knew I wanted to craft my surroundings into a visual story all my life. Possibly even dating back to the initial inception of my creation.
I was born and raised in Norfolk, Virginia, until I was 3 years old. My mother's family resided in Norfolk for several generations, and my Father's family lived in Richmond. Upon my father receiving a new job, we considered moving several places including LA and Pasadena, San Francisco, and Charlotte. After much debate, we ended up sprouting our roots in Charlotte, a place where I would predominately spend the rest of my life. I attended pre-school, elementary school, middle school, and high school. I met friends during my elementary days that I still have now, and consider them to be my best and closest friends. During the 15 year period before I departed for college, I essentially discovered life. I met all sorts of people. I had my first girl friend. I experienced major political and global events that shook the nation. I fell in love with the cinema, and movies. I had some of the greatest moments of my life. All of them completely irreplaceable.
It was through these magical days, especially those of high school and middle school summers, that I determined there was only career path for me. I was going to write and more importantly, shoot and direct films. When I was about 10 years old, my father showed me a movie. He described it as a horror movie, without any horror, and that the plot was centered around a fisherman trying to catch a great white shark. I was engrossed and obsessed right with the plot. It was Jaws. I fell in love. It was so magical, and unique. Unlike anything I had ever experienced. Every week from then on, we watched a movie similar to that. Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1941, E.T., Poltergeist, The Last Crusade, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Star Trek (which I found to be much more interesting and intellectual than that of Star Wars), The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure... Predominately movies directed by Spielberg, or from the 1970's and 80's.  There was something about them that intrigued me. They connected with a vast audience, and provided a very magical feeling and escape from the real world, yet felt very real.
I wanted to connect with people, show them a story, bring them away for their lives, put a spark in their eyes, and make them smile. Art and film was the way I wanted to do that. Art, to me, acts as a global language. Something that can be universally understood without any means of translation. It is predominately visual.
So many people have changed, and succumb to the changing world of technological advances, that they miss out on important things. Its not bad to be obsessed with technology, but sometimes we just need to stop, take a breath, and look around us. Observe our surroundings. Smell nature. Watch the sky. Meet people. Watch a good movie that gives you a magical feeling.
If there is one thing I know I wont do...I will never grow up. The moment I do, I am no longer myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment